What is meant by the term Independent Testing?
Its a different approach to perform unbiased testing on the software product so as to reveal more bugs and defects. The task of testing the software product is made independent of the developers, testers or similar professionals engaged in the development of the software product and is being handed over to the external or outsourced team.
The basic ideology behind the independent testing is based on the statement that a creator may not find any flaws in its creation just like the parents who do not find faults in their children, but are ready to enumerate a long list of bad qualities present in other children.
Similarly, a developer or a testing team associated with the development of the software product, may not able to locate defects or all defects, present in the software product, but may prove their potential in exploring large quantity of defects in the software product developed by the other organization/team.
What are the Levels of Independent Testing?
The levels of independent testing, defines the scope or the extent up to which testing, may be performed, independently or unbiasedly, starting from the lowest level to the highest point. It should not be seen as the methods to perform the independent testing.
- Complete absence of independence, when only a developer, perform testing on its own developed product.
- To begin with the independence, testers may be integrated with the developers to jointly carry out the testing.
- Moving further towards independence, testing is performed by the group of testers or a testing team working within the organization and associated with software development process.
- Next degree of independence, involves the software product testing by the external or the outsourced testing team outside the organization, but will be reporting to the project manager of the concerned software product.
- Further, making independence more strong, testing performed by the outsourced testing team may be accompanied by the reporting to their respective heads or managers, i.e. the task of testing the software product is completely handed over to a different organization.
- Discovery of more bugs and defects that were left unseen or untouched by the in-house development or testing team.
- This type of testing breaks the restriction of mandatory following the strategies and plans developed by the business analyst or the project manager or the test manager, in favour of passing the software product, through the testing procedures.
- As an independent team is not concerned with software product and not being bound the time restriction, they may implement their own thinking, ideas, strategies, approaches or techniques to carry out the testing in any possible manner.
- Testing is being done in specific, dedicated and stringent environment unbiased to what is favourable for the product.
- Achievement of the enhanced quality software product.
Limitations or De-Merits:
- As the testing task is being deployed to the third party, it may increase the burden of the project cost.
- Not suitable for the less budget project or the projects involving stringent deadlines.
- May result in to lack of mutual understanding between the concerned organization and the outsourced testing team.
- Lack of support from the teams associated with the software development.