Test results are the outcome of the whole process of software testing life cycle. The results thus produced, offer an insight into the deliverables of a software project, significant in representing the status of the project to the stakeholders.
- Testing:It is a process of identifying whether a bug/error hides within a project and also assess the impact of the observation. It forms an important activity of Quality Assurance.
- Debugging:This method involves identification and then correction of bugs/errors. When developers come across an error in the code, they resort to debugging. Debugging is thus a part of unit testing.
- Test Case:It is a document that consists of test data, preconditions, postconditions and expected results that are developed for a specific kind of test scenario, intended for serving a particular purpose.
- Test Suite:It is a collection of test cases, that are aimed at testing a software application to detect that the application adheres to the requirement specifications. It basically consists of a detailed set of instructions to attain a common goal.
There are majorly two broad categories/types of testing, which helps to obtain the test results in the most appropriate way. They are as follows :
- Manual Testing- It is the process of testing which comprises of a group of testers who examines the code for the presence of a bug. The testing is performed without the use of any tool. The tester tests the application just as an end-user would do, in order to find out defects, if any.
- Automation Testing- Automating the test process is done with the help of a script or tool. A piece of code is used to detect a bug/error.
Considering the aforementioned categories of testing, how should one come to a conclusion as to which testing one must adopt to attain correct results. The following key points must be considered while deciding upon a specific type of testing :
- Automation testing is a life saver when the project under consideration is quite large and complex in nature.
- When we need to repetitively test some part of the code, very often.
- When the requirements are quite stable, that is, requirements are not prone to change.
- When the application need to go through load and performance tests with many virtual users involved in it.
How to Automate :
A specific scripting language is chosen like VB scripting, to conduct automation test. To automate the test process, we can choose to adhere ourselves to few things .
- We need to observe the areas within a software that need automation.
- Select the most appropriate tool for automation, that suites best for the purpose.
- Write the test scripts as per test scenario.
- Develop test suites
- Execute scripts
- Prepare report
- Identify bug or issues in performance
There are various automation test tools available that enable us to perform automation testing of an application. Some of the tools are Selenium, HP quick test professional, IBM rational functional tester, silktest, testcomplete, WinRunner etc.
Such automation tools have offered ways to efficiently carry out software testing in order to figure out every possible bug/error, to ascertain whether the application is delivering the intended functionality and along with test results, we can also ensure the performance criteria is met(using regression testing, load testing etc.)
A test result is a kind of confirmation that gradually leads us to the right track towards the pursuit of a robust software application. Test result concludes the software test life cycle, thus allowing us to look into the facts and figures and progressively plan the subsequent activities.