Ecommerce Testing Checklist
E-commerce applications have lots of users all over the world, as it deals with finance, marketing, retail, wholesale, manufacturing, and auctions. These applications have a great deal of responsibilities on them and therefore, it is extremely necessary for them to perform exceptionally. Any failures in the software can lead to great losses, which can further harm the reputation of the organisation. Therefore, it is of utmost important to check each and every aspect of the software before it is made live for the use of the end users. The important elements that require testing are:
Ecommerce Testing Checklist:
A web application consists of a wide range of activities. Therefore while testing an e-commerce application few points are worth considering, which can be listed as follows:
- Testing Functionality: An e-commerce application for web and smartphones has five major elements, each of which is tested effectively by the team of testers. These elements are essential to the application and represents its quality and effectiveness. These elements are:
- Main pages.
- Category or product type pages.
- Product description page.
- Shopping cart.
- Payment gateway.
- Testing E-commerce Application Workflow: Login and Signup Option, Search Functionality, Product Review Posting Feature, Check Out Process, Payment Gateway and Payment Processing and more, all the elements of the application are tested to ensure that its workflow. By testing all these features of the application, the tester validates application’s performance and quality.
- Payment Gateway Functionality: The payment process and checkout process is tested while keeping the below mentioned points in mind:
- The final amount to be paid by the customer.
- Check the payment is processed correctly by using all kinds of payment methods.
- The generation of invoice and the emails that are sent when payment is made is checked.
- It is also ensured that the refund process and email, receipt of refund are all working fine.
- Performing Security and Vulnerability Assessments: Security testing is performed in the application to make sure that the website is not prone to any security issues. Techniques like SQL Injections, Ethical hacks on various pages like Log in, Register is executed. Whether the payment gateway is secured is also checked.
- Checking Compatibility With the Web Browser: It is important for e-commerce applications to work on all types of web browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc. Therefore, one needs to test the browser compatibility of the application to make sure that the customers are able to use e-commerce website without any hassle.
- Testing Mobile Responsiveness:If the application is developed for mobile phones, then it should be tested on various mobile phone devices, such as, Apple iPhone, Apple IPad, Apple IPad Mini, Android Phones, Windows Phone, and others.
- Checking Performance and SEO factors: It is extremely important to check the performance of the application, for which one needs to conduct performance testing on parameters such as webpage loading speed, throughput, data transfer rate, efficiency, uptime, database performance, website traffic load tolerance, error messages, and more. Also, one needs to ensure that the e-commerce website is having high search engine visibility, so that they can get considerable user traffic to your site. This can be done by implementing search engine optimization (SEO) on the website.
With the development of new technologies and software, things around us are getting simplified and hassle free. The world around us is quickly adopting facilities, which provide quick services and guarantee exceptional results. E-commerce Applications are one such example that is rapidly gaining popularity. New and modern web and mobile e-commerce applications are developed every day that cater to the high demands of the people all over the world. These applications are tested continuously by expert and knowledgeable testers, who validate the performance, functionality, features, effectiveness and quality of these applications. The E-commerce website or application testers execute testing in different browsers and platforms. Moreover, they test various combinations and perform testing on various devices like, iPad, iPhone, Android Phones and more. Hence, to ensure excellent productivity and success of the organisation, it is essential to perform e-commerce testing on all applications and websites nowadays.