Code Free Testing
What is Code free testing?
Popularly known as Static Testing Technique, Code Free Testing is a testing technique performed without the execution of code. This type of testing checks the code, requirement documents and design documents and puts review comments on the work document. Moreover, when the software is non-operational and inactive, security testing is performed by the testers to analyse the software in non-runtime environment.
Static Testing Technique is conducted during the early stages of software development cycle and hence is also known as Verification Testing. This technique for testing software is either done manually or through various software testing tools available in the market. The aim of Code Free Testing or Static Testing Technique is to provide a powerful way of improving the quality and productivity of software development by assisting the programmers and developers in recognizing and fixing faults and defect in the early stages of software development process.
Types Of Code Free Testing/ Static Testing Techniques:
The Code Free Testing is divided into two important techniques that play a very crucial role in software development process. Both of these testing techniques have distinctive functions and are performed to ensure proper defect detection and the quality of the software. Mentioned following are the two types of Code Free Testing are:
- Review: It is majorly used by developers to find and eliminate errors, bugs and other ambiguities in the software such as, requirements, design, test cases, and more. Review is furthermore divided into five categories:
Static Analysis: The computer codes and requirement design that are created by the team of developers and programmers are analysed, usually with the help of tools, for structural defects without actually performing or executing the program. The goal of static analysis is to find defects irrespective of whether they will or will not cause failure in the future. Also, its main concern is to find defects rather than failures in the program.
The first category of Review is Informal Review. In this technique documents concerning the software development are informally reviewed by the team of developers who later provide their informal comments and views on the concerning documents.
In this technique a meeting is led by the author to explain the product to others connected with the project. Participants are required to ask questions and make notes of the important points.
- Technical/Peer Review:
In this type of static/code free testing a technical round of review is conducted to check if the code is made according to technical specifications and standards. Generally, the test plans, test strategy and test scripts are reviewed here.
The main purpose of this technique is to detect defects in the program and to allow moderators to conduct code walkthroughs. This is a formal type of review where a checklist is prepared to review the work document.
- Static Analysis Tools: Also known as Static Analysis Code tools, the static analysis tools are generally used by developers for the development and component process of a software. In this, the source code which interests the developer is used as the input data in the tool. There is no execution of the code as the tool is itself executed. The static code analysis tool helps the developer understand the structure of the code and allows enforcement of the coding standards.
- Advantages of Static Analysis Tools: Static analysis tools provides a developer several benefits. It makes the process of analysis quick, effortless and ensures that the results provided are accurate and as per the expectations of the developers. Some other advantages of static code analysis tools are mentioned below:
- Calculates metrics that enables the developer to understand and identify areas where more testing might be required due to increased risk.
- Can enforce coding standards.
- Analyse structure and dependencies.
- Identifies anomalies and defects in the code.
- Helps in understanding codes.
- Allows detection of variables with an undefined value.
- Find inconsistent interface between modules and components.
- Detect Security vulnerability and Syntax violation.
Important Static Analysis Tools:
The software industry is full of countless static code analysis tools. Everyday someone of other comes up with a better and an easier version of this analysis tool for the comfort as well as the convenience of the developers. Hence, it is tremendously important to find static analysis tools that aim at providing state-of-the-art facilities and precise analysis results.
Following are some of the top static analysis tools used all around the world:
It is a static analysis tool which is built on the SaaS model. Veracode is mainly used to analyse the code from a security point of view. It uses binary codes/byte code and hence ensures 100% test coverage. It is the most appropriate option for those who want to write secure code for their software.
- RIPS Technology:
The only code analysis solution which is dedicated to the PHP language is RIPS. It detects the most complex security vulnerabilities that are deeply nested within the PHP code and cannot be detected by other tools. Moreover, it supports all major PHP frameworks, SDLC integration, as well as relevant industry standards. It is highly accurate and can be deployed as a self-hosted software or used as a cloud service.
- PVS- Studio:
The goal of PVS-Studio is to detect bugs and weaknesses in the source code of programs, written in C, C++ and C#. It works in Windows and Linux environment and can be integrated into Visual Studio and other widespread IDE. Its results of the analysis can be reported into SonarQube.
This is an open source Cloud based tool which works for projects that are written using C, C++, Java C# or Java Script. Coverity Scan provides a very detailed and clear description of the issues which further allows faster resolutions.
It is one of the best tools for static analysis testing as it has the ability to support various types of static analysis techniques like pattern based, flaw based, third party analysis, and metrics and multivariate analysis. Apart from identifying the tool, Parasoft also provides a feature which prevents defects in the program.
- HP Fortify SCA:
Fortify is a tool from HP which allows the developer to build an error free and secure code. Both the development and the security teams can use this tool by working together to find and fix security related issues. Fortify ranks the issues found while scanning the code and ensures that the most critical errors and defects are fixed first.
Code free testing or Static testing technique is one of the best technique for testing and analysing codes and software for defects and error without executing them. It provides the developer the opportunity to start testing in the early stages of software development and get timely feedback and awareness on quality issues. Hence, static testing makes sure that defects are identified at an early stage which assists the developer in reducing the rework and costs of development. Furthermore, by decreasing the cost and rework, static analysis guarantees increased development productivity.