Companies and organisations around the world are majorly focused on implementing end to end testing such as, Unit testing
and Functional testing
. These tests, though are necessary for accurate software development, should not be the only focus of organisations. It is extremely important for them to spend quality time on testing real use cases, which are usually left for last minute testing. Moreover, there are only few organisations that execute integration testing, which is extremely beneficial. Integration testing is an approach where modules are developed and testing of modules always starts at the finest level of the programming hierarchy and continues towards the lower levels. It’s the extension to unit testing. Integration testing takes smaller unit of unit testing and tests their behaviour as the whole.
Software Integration Testing
Each and every software consists of multiple modules that converse with each other through an interface. Assimilating or integrating these individual modules and testing them as one is known as Software Integration Testing. Sometimes the integration may form the complete software and yet at other times, it might form a major part of it.
Benefits of Integration Testing:
Integration test cases are different from other test cases, it focuses mainly on the interfaces and flow of data and information between the modules. The priority here is given to the integration links rather than the unit function, which are tested already. With integration testing, most of the unit test cases, negative cases and simpler cases can be written at the earlier stages, which then gets executed on every build. Moreover, it helps in better test coverage too and improves test gaps. Other benefits of integration testing are:
- Faster development, a confident level is high.
- Easy to integrate different modules.
- It is easy to test.
- Code coverage is high and easy to track.
- Provides major assistance in creating real-time use cases.
- Top-Down or Bottom-Up integration testing starts at early stages of software development and bugs are caught easily.
- Tests run faster than end to end testing.
- It easily finds system level issues like, broken database, integration mistakes and more.
Features Of Integration Testing
The prime features of Integration Testing are:
- Done After Unit Testing Is Complete - The most important requisite of Integration Testing is that each module should have been successfully unit tested before the integration can take place. The idea is to ensure that every unit is correctly performing its designated task. Once the performance of each unit is validated it is combined with the next one. At each level of integration, the software is continually tested to make it as foolproof as possible.
- Integration As Per Test Plan – The integration of every module takes place as described in the test plan. This is done to reduce chaos and have a definitive path that needs to be followed in order to carry out testing effectively.
- Checks Functionality – The aim behind Software Integration Testing is to guarantee a product that efficiently delivers on all that it promises. As such, at every level of assimilation, the software is rigorously tested to detect and eradicate all functional flaws.
Drawback Of Integration Testing
The main flaw in Integration Testing is that any scenario that is not covered in the test plan will be left untouched and as such, critical sources of errors and malfunctions might be overlooked. To be precise the success of Integration Testing lies in the perfection of the test plan. Since test plan is made by humans one needs to cater for its inefficiencies.
Need For Integration Testing
- Usually, a software is developed by many individuals with each one handling a particular module. The way that each developer uses logic tends to differ and as such Integration Testing gives a platform to bring all the modules to perform as a complete software.
- The interface between each module tends to amend or delete values. Such structural data change can be damaging to the software. Integration Testing gives a chance to detect and rectify such errors.
Software Integration Testing is a way to ensure that the complete software, when put together, works flawlessly. In case, the developer overlooked any critical aspect during the unit testing phase, then that is highlighted and in turn, it gives a chance to fix such errors before the final launch. After all, a flawless software is a successful software.