The diagram illustrates the bridge between the software applications with the multiple browsers. There is a perfect linking of the software application with the Google chrome and Mozilla Firefox browser, whereas the bridge is broken for the Internet explorer browser.
The main motive behind this illustration, is to show the capability of the software to work across multiple browsers. The application software will be incapable to perform its proper functioning with the Internet Explorer, due to compatibility or linking issues, whereas it can work, effectively, with the other two browsers- Chrome and Mozilla.
The one stop solution, to detect and resolve these kinds of issues between the software application and different web-browsers, is cross-browser testing.
What is the meaning of Cross-browser testing?
It is a type of testing done specifically to evaluate the software product efficiency to function across multiple browsers accurately.
This type of testing is carried out to check that whether the software application, especially web applications, being developed is working, across all the browsers. Apart from the compatibility with the browser, it also ensures the similar and accurate working of the software product in all the browsers.
Why it is necessary?
The necessity of carrying out cross-browser testing, can be described, through the following points.
- Generally end users/ customers are not choosy or supporter of any particular browser. They have the wilful access to different types of available browser, and they may switch their working to any of them, depending upon the accessibility and their personal choice.
- It might be possible that the software product may not work on every browser. But this time, the inefficiency is from the browser side to accept the software product incorporated with the best and the advance technologies. In that case cross browser testing helps in determining these issues along with the possible changes that may be implemented in the software product in order to make it compatible with each browser.
- Internet access is not limited to the conventional desktops or laptops. Today's world, have got the accessibility to the web, on a single touch, through smartphones. These smartphones have become the necessity of the peoples, as it provides the ease to access web, any time, and at any place. In that case, cross browser testing will prove to be beneficial, as these smartphones also, comes under multiple platforms viz Operating systems.
- Every browser has its own design, architecture, specifications, etc., which may make your web page style and appearance, look different from the others. Therefore, it might be possible, that the data or coding, which is confidential, and developer does not want to disclose it, for the security purpose, such as hacking, cracking, etc., may get explore or gets visible, in one or more than one browser.
- Performs the testing of web applications over various types of browser.
- Ensures the compatibility of the web application or website, with each, known and popular browsers
- This type of testing may be carried out manually, with the help of the specific tools, available in the Market, such as BrowserStack, SauceLABS, etc.
- It involves, QA team, along with the other teams such as business team, marketing team, designing team, client, etc., which helps in determining the scope of the testing, like, which browser to choose, at what extent, the testing is required to be carried out, and such other things.
- This type of testing, may be brought into action, as soon as, web page(s) are ready, whether one or more than one. However, it may also be performed, on the completion of complete web-pages or fully developed functional website.