Functional System Testing Techniques
Functional system testing is discovered to validate the system requirements and specifications to reach the goal. This process usually involves creating test conditions and calculates the correctness of the software. These are following techniques which are functionally described below in this section:
- Requirement Testing
- Regression Testing
- Error-Handling Testing
- Manual-Support Testing
- Inter-systems Testing
- Control Testing
- Parallel Testing
- Requirement Testing: In requirement testing, the major role is to ensure that system is performs correctly in decided amount of time. The complete system can be tested to ensure the correctness by applying SDLC but when we talk about reliability of programs this must be placed in system operational. This type of testing successfully implementing user requirements, processing all the applications as per organizational policies and procedures. Lastly, secondary user’s needs must be fulfilled by Security officers, DBA, Record retention, internal auditors and comptrollers.
It is important to understand how to use this technique, there are test conditions which are created; these conditions are generalized and then converted into test cases to process further. Test conditions generally are more effective when it is analysed and created from user’s requirements. If there is any kind of error find in the docs which are inappropriate for test conditions, testing will face difficulties to figure out those errors.
- Regression Testing: The basic function of regression testing is to test the segments to ensure the desired quality of the application. This process will repeat again and again until the tester gets a required output. The major objective is to determine system documentation remains, system test data and conditions, previously tested system operations and after applied changes.
Regression testing methodology keeps on testing the unchanged segments of application. It is usually tests the same test cases which keep producing same results. Regression testing is also one in which cost will affect the most because effort is utilized in large amount. After getting basic info about regression, now it’s time to know about the use of this methodology. Regression testing is used when the risk level is high because new changes may affect an application. In maintenance phase, there is a lot of potential loss when there is large segment of unchanged portion.
- Error-Handling Testing: The biggest advantage of automated testing over manual testing is the error-handling feature that automatically fights with errors and reform programs. In some cases, ineffective error-handling affects the usability of applications. Error-handling testing technique determines the actual ability to process incorrect transactions. Major objective is to determine expected error conditions, a systematic accountability to process errors and possibility of correctness and maintain reasonable control at the time of correction.
Error-handling testing technique requires an expert level team to functionally analyse application system to get rid from problems. A good methodology to develop error-conditions it is required to have IT staff, users, and auditors to apply a serious effort that identifies anything wrong with application. The overall thinking of team must be organized by application function to create logical set of transactions. Error-handling testing must tests the introduction of errors, processing of errors, control condition and the re-entry condition that must be properly corrected. When we talk about the usability of error-handling testing, it is important it occurs throughout the system development life cycle. It is also necessary to collect all errors from the development and apply a suitable action to reduce error acceptable actions. Various organizations use auditors, professional testing system, and quality assurance approach to calculate error processing.
- Manual-Support Testing: The manual-support testing is also requires same level of attention in automated testing segment. May be the timing and the testing methods may differ; the objective of manual testing remains the same as in automated testing segment. Major objective of manual-support testing is to verifying the manual-support procedures are properly documented, determining the responsibility that has been assigned, determining manual support personnel are trained or not, determining the manual support and automated system is properly interfaced.
In manual-support testing it is important to calculate the adequacy of process and the execution of the process. This process itself can easily evaluate in all the phases of development life cycle. Manual-support testers have supervisory people to prepare, enter and enter use that results for processing purpose from application. Manual-support testing usually involves several iterations of the process. Expertise testers test the interface between people and the application system.
- Inter-systems Testing: In intersystem testing technique, internal data processing is the most crucial part to operate and manage fields. Technically, data is the core part in the application. In a way, the appropriate management of data is necessary to uncover all the errors. The major objective is to pass data correctly from one system to another. It is applied in application testing to change the intersystem parameters and to update intersystem documentation.
- Control Testing: Controls basically introduced in any system to control something either it is a technique or any process. When it comes to testing an application, control testing technique is evolved to reduce the system risks to an acceptable level of conditions. It is used to file reconciliation procedures work and manual controls.
- Parallel Testing: In parallel testing technique, both the application systems old and new are run to detect unplanned differences by comparing results. Because, some functionalities may not work while changing the system so it is very important to conduct parallel testing. It is used to reconcile both old and new system and to check operational status of old system.