Inspection Roles, Participants and Process
What is Inspection and it's Roles?
Inspection is a formal approach to review or investigate the testing phase and is being performed by the trained moderators. At the time of inspection, structured documents are prepared and validate thoroughly by a team of reviewers. It involves a proper examination of a product to detect the defects and maintain a log file to keep process on track.
The participants in inspection may range from minimum three to maximum six. Minimum number of participants is defined by as per the need of required roles. Further, more than six participants might not help in uncovering defects in large number but will surely increase the cost of the project, and thus engagement of more than six participants is generally not preferred.
- Author: The author is an individual who is responsible to create work product that has to be inspected.
- Moderator: The moderator is an individual or technician who is a leader of the whole inspection process. He/she is also responsible to plan and for coordinating the whole inspection process.
- Reader: The task of reader is to read out one item at a time from the document, and the inspector would point out the defects present in each of the delivered item.
- Recorder: Records and document the defects revealed throughout the inspection process.
- Inspector: Examines the work product to find possible defects present in the system.
- Planning: All the major tasks are planned by the moderator to accomplish the task of inspection completely.
- Overview Meeting: A small briefing session where author describes the complete background of a product.
- Preparation: In inspection, each inspector is responsible to identify all possible number of defects.
- Inspection Meeting: At the time of inspection meeting, a reader thoroughly reads and explore the working of the product in small parts and concurrently, inspector marks and list out the defect in each and every part.
- Work Product Rework:In this section, the author make changes into work as per the action plans which are decided in inspection meeting.
- Follow-up: In this section, the essential changes made by the author is validated to ensure everything is right and done in corrected manner.
In any software development, inspection of any product gives a real light to the software product across its various features and functionalities. Every software product must go through with inspection process so that it can proceed to further phases of testing.