Essence of Security Testing
In today's world where each and every task is backed by the use of web applications, it has become a vital task to protect them to remain on a safer side. Securitizing these applications have actually become mandatory as otherwise, they may get individuals fall victim to various vulnerabilities. It's the software development phase where the actual testing needs to take place.
The motive for the same centres around the execution of a program or application with the intent of catching the software bugs. There are some of the vital objectives that throw light on the importance of security testing, as listed below:
- Checking out the bugs that may have entered during a development of software by the programmer.
- This also helps the programmer to have the utmost confidence in the quality of product or software that he has made.
- It ensures that end- user remains satisfied and requirements are made in accordance to the end user.
On an all and all basis, this will provide a good coverage, which will group in areas like functionality, compatibility and performance of the software. In technical terms, it is performed under four steps that include:
- Cracking of Password: A password cracker tool is used by the tester to go inside the software and start the process.
- Manipulation of URL :This is the second step wherein it is checked whether the software passes vital information in the query string.
- SQL Injection:It holds great essentiality as these attacks are very critical and can allow a hacker to grasp information from the server database.
- Cross Site Scripting:Last but not the least software needs to be checked across XSS wherein none of the HTML must be accepted.
Thereby, these are some of the simple steps in which overall testing can well be performed. But as we know each and everything is based on some of the principles that need to be followed well, so is security testing. These are enlisted here below:
- Confidentiality: It involves keeping the information secure and confidential.
- Integrity :Here protection from unauthorized parties is ensured well.
- Authentication:It is done for the checking the legitimacy of any software.
- Authorization:Under this access control must only be in the hands of the developer so that there are no repercussions thereafter.
- Availability:It provides assurance for providing information services.
- Non-Repudiation:This avoids any kind of conflict between sender and receiver.
Therefore, following some of the basic principles, software testing remains an essential part which ensures longevity of the software.