Test Closure Activities
What do you understand by Test Closure Activities?
Test closure is a report, created right after the completion of software testing process. Test closure activities are performed after the delivery of software product. It is important to perform such activities to determine the actual outcomes and impact of testing activities on the quality of software product.
Some of the possible scenarios or conditions which marks the end of testing phase are:
- When all sorts of defects or imperfection and relevant information are identified.
- Sometimes, when project is cancelled due to some reasons.
- When the specified objective or target gets achieved by the team.
- It is used when the maintenance or required changes need to be done.
- When all the lessons learned while testing are completed noted down in the documentation.
Below given are some of the test closure activities which functionally describes its importance in software testing phase:
- It checks whether the planned deliverables are actually delivered or not and validates if all sorts of bug as reported in bug report got resolved or not.
- The test optimizes test scripts and test environments which need to be finalized for the usability of end-users.
- Passing test report to maintenance department to provide relevant support for the application.
- It evaluates number of possible outcomes achieved in the whole process, which creates positive impact in the execution of future integrations.
- There are some important aspects like learning, experiencing, resolving issues, etc., which are noticed by the team leader that helps in future in further processes.
It also helps to improvise test maturity by gathering information.
Sometimes, in the complex project, few essential things gets missed out. Thus, team manager is responsible to cross-check the test plan and strategy to ensure nothing got left out during the course of testing phase.
- There will be a possibility that test estimation for a project is misjudged or there may be a lack in skill-set, which leads to many problems in the identification of bugs.
- There should be quality and risk analysis. If anyone finds a malicious defect in any integrated component, it is important to conduct risk analysis to overcome from such things.
- There should be an efficiency check of software product to ensure about the improvements and changes.
At the end, all the essential work products like test results, test logs, test status reports, etc., should be successfully stored in configuration management system. Both test plan and project plan should also be stored in the planning archive and there must a significant linkage between system and the version which are used. Lastly, the test execution reports should be properly linked to the version of the product.