What is Installation Testing?
Installation testing is performed to check if the software has been correctly installed with all the inherent features and that the product is working as per expectations. Also known as implementation testing, it is done in the last phase of testing before the end user has his/her first interaction with the product.
Prerequisites for installation testing:
- Software installations of today proceed with questions targeted at the user based on configuration and user choices. So it will be useful to create a tree path of all the options available to the user at the time of installation which will cover all the unique paths to an installation.
- Flow diagrams are a handy tool in installation testing. These will be used in automating the test scripts.
- Checking if the installation product is dependent on any patch
How is Installation Testing Done?
- First and foremost, it product needs to be checked for any other version already available on the target machine.
- The application has to be verified for installation according to the correct folder path as specified by the user, as also, the user should be allowed to choose the default folder.
- Instructions on the installer should be displayed correctly.
- The product should be verified for ease of installation over the internet.
- Since different file systems require space requirements, the software needs to be verified for disk space on systems such as FAT 32 or NTFS as the case maybe.
- Break the installation process in the middle, i.e. any time before it gets completed. This is to check if the system returns to its original state without any hitches.
- Checking for disk space: This first involves doing a manual check to find out the available disk space and the subsequent checking of installer script's calculated disc space.
- The installer package needs to have its behaviour monitored for low disk space.
- It is necessary to test the facility in the installer package for allowing a guest user to work as an administrator for working on repairs.
- On complete installation, the registry changes need to be verified with the expected user list of changes
- Test for uninstallation is important to check if all the system files have been deleted in the event of uninstalling the application.
Relevance of Installation Testing:
- A smooth process for installation/uninstallation ensures that the system is free from any folders or modules that may have been left out due to incomplete uninstallation and take up space in the system memory.
- Perfection in installation testing is necessary to ensure complete coordination of all the sub components inherent in a software.
- A smooth installation creates a good impression on the prospective customer.
Since installation is the first interaction a user has with an IT product, the significance of installation testing can never be overstated. A glitch free and smooth installation generates great confidence and a feeling of genuine customer satisfaction in a client which can cement an everlasting bond with the product company.