Model Based Testing
Since their advent, software testing tools have simplified the process of testing and enhanced its accuracy. From unit testing to end-to-end testing, with the assistance of these tools software testers are effectively verifying and validating the performance, functionality, reliability, etc., of the software. Automated tools have revolutionized the process of model based testing, which is an important testing technique that defines how a system behaves in response to an action.Therefore, discussed below are some important tools used by the team of testers to implement model based testing on the software/system under test (SUT).
What is Model Based Testing?
Before we move on to discuss the model based testing tools, it is important for us to understand the the meaning of model based testing. As stated above, model based testing is a technique, which is used by the team of testers to check the runtime behavior of a software under test (SUT) against the predictions made by a formal specification of model.
Model based testing is an effective approach for creating efficient test cases from the business requirements.With the assistance of this technique, software testers can enjoy numerous benefits, like:
- Easily maintain test cases and test suites.
- It improves test coverage and helps in cost reduction.
- With the assistance of model based testing, the team can run multifarious tests on numerous machines.
- It allows early defect detection as well as increase in defect count.
- It is more beneficial than traditional software testing.
- Allows team to automatically generate test cases from models.
Find more about model based testing here.
List of Important Model Based Testing Tools:
Model based testing tools play a significant role in modifying the process of model based testing. These tools support the process of testing and interact with other phases development. Moreover, these tools are developed, by organizations around the world, to support various model based activities and to make the process cost effective and agile. Therefore, with the assistance of the following tools, you can efficiently implement model based testing and get accurate results.
Hence, the various important model based testing tools are:
- Created by Intel, fMBT is a model based testing tool, that effortlessly generates test cases from models written in Python language.
- It specializes in automatically generating and executing tests.
- Enhancing test coverage and reducing efforts of test maintenance.
- A frequently used model based testing tool, Tricentis’ Tosca offers remarkable, scalable, and cost effective solutions for model based testing.
- It enables testers with inefficient knowledge of testing to create and record model based automated test cases.
- Helps create dynamic test cases that synchronize with any software under test (SUT).
- Breakdown communication barriers and reduce maintenance efforts.
- A renowned model based testing tool, Modbat is based on extended finite state machines.
- It is specialized in testing the application programming interface (API) of a software.
- This Scala based tool is compatible with any Java based application or software.
- 4Test is a model based testing tool that reduces the cost of testing life cycle and improves the quality of your software.
- With this Gherkin-based tool you can efficiently design automated tests and get agile testing solutions.
- Get remarkable risk-based and keyword-driven API testing solutions.
- BPM-X is potent modeling and business process analysis software based on Microsoft Visio.
- It adeptly combines Business Process Management (BPM) and Business Process Analysis (BPA).
- With the assistance of this tool, the team can reduce high dependencies and avoid inefficient implementation of business requirements.
- It also helps bridge the gap between team members, which improves communication among them.
- ConformIQ Creator is an impressive model based testing tool that automates testing processes and speeds up the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Launched in 2013, ConformIQ Creator promotes agile testing and in-sprint test automation.
- It has a pre-defined modeling framework that allows it to import business process model as well as notations and other diagrams to commence the process of modeling.
- TestCast is a model based testing platform, which uses model based testing to reduce the efforts required for test maintenance.
- It offers a MBT edition, which generates TTCN-3 test cases that are based on the requirements and model structure coverage.
- This tool can be termed as a successor of the MOTES prototype tool.
- Offered by Sigma Technology, Green Sweet Lemon is an important model based testing tool that uses flowcharts for calculation intensive applications.
- This is an effective tool that efficiently reduces effort and cost of testing and offers various bug free solutions.
- The most beneficial aspect of this tool is that it uses the latest technology Swim Lane Event Driven Petri Nets (SLEDPN) for model creation.
- Yest, by Smartesting, is a lightweight model based testing tool that is used by the team for manual as well as automated functional testing.
- It is based on graphical workflows and decision tables.
- Another advantages of this tool is that it is integrated with test management tools and test automation frameworks, which helps bring necessary value required for the deployment of agility in large scale software.
- This is another important MBT tool that supports the modeling of application behavior as well as business processes.
- It controls automatic generation of test cases and ensures their maintenance.
- With the assistance of this tool, the team can industrialize and optimize model based testing process.
- With the assistance of MaTeLo, a prominent model based testing tool, the team of testers can design models to generate optimized test repository automatically.
- It allows you to detect defects during the early stages of testing and limits their impact on the software.
- MaTeLo creates test using different strategies and improves coverage while reducing the amount of tests.
- GraphWalker is an open source model based testing tool for test automation.
- As the name suggests it helps simplify the creation of tests using graphs, as it reads models in the shape of a directed graph.
- Moreover, it generates a path based on these graphs, which further makes test designing hassle free.
As the importance of model based testing is immense in software testing life cycle (STLC), it becomes vital for us to adopt latest tools and frameworks to simplify its process and to further increase its accuracy. With the assistance of the aforementioned tools, the team of testers can effectively perform model based testing and generate artifacts that are compatible with the requirements of the testing.